Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday Gym Report

For some reason I started out toproping today and just never stopped. It's very unusual for me, but maybe it was because my right toe was hurting so badly. It was quite painful to put it into a climbing shoe and then I had to be very careful with it. But I don't mind toproping so much. Tom did a few as warm-up as well.

I started on 5.8 and worked my way up. The funny thing is that each one felt pretty hard for me. I'm starting to get a cold as well and was feeling pretty weak and rundown, but I kept up with grades. I climbed a 5.8, 5.9, 10a, 10b, 10c, 10d, and 11a all clean on my first go. The 10b seemed the hardest for me, as it had some tricky moves.

I ended with an attempt on a very cool 11b route. It has few holds on it and goes up a corner that is slightly less than vertical. You climb with a series of high steps and high hands that you shoulder roll into a mantle. It was pretty shoulder intensive and flexibility would have helped a lot. I fell off the lower crux move and after hanging, solved it in a bizarre, awkward manner, but I didn't have the flexibility (super wide stem) to solve it in the more elegant manner. After doing that move I was able to climb to the stop cleanly, though a number of the sections were quite tough. I'll give that another go on Wednesday.

Eight routes: 8, 9, 10a, 10b, 10c, 10d, 11a, 11b (one fall/hang). All TRs.

No comments: