Sunday, June 26, 2022

Washington to Washington: Days 25 & 26

Photos 

Saturday, June 25, 2022, Day 25:


I had a really good day riding today, though the first forty miles had a bit too much traffic. I didn’t start riding until 10:30 a.m. as I was milking the hotel breakfast. I ate everything they had over the course of the four hours they were open. I tend to get a late start when we stay at a hotel. I feel I get more value out of the stay that way. It might not be logical, but it’s my routine now.


I did forty miles on the highway and it should have been smooth, but it was tougher than expected because there was a lot of debris (from the storm) in the shoulder and there was the most traffic on the road that I’ve seen for the entire trip. It still wasn’t that bad, but did take some concentration to avoid the obstacles and the traffic. Also, the median was sort of rough.


Sheri met me after two hours of riding and just over forty miles, so I was off to a good start, mileage-wise. We met again in Park Rapids, in a park, at the start of the Heartland Trail, a paved bike path. I was excited to get on this and get away from the traffic. We had a nice lunch at this park at a picnic table and in the sun. This path was great, though I encountered tons of downed trees. I had to climb over some, but mostly, there was a beaten path around the blockages. I took photos of some of them, but they were so numerous that I stopped. This definitely slowed me down quite a bit.


I rode 18 miles on this path and met Sheri in Akeley. I didn’t even have to get off the bike path. Sheri had found a trailhead parking and set up chairs in the grass right by the path. It was decadent. I ate and drank some more and we plotted the rest of the day. Sheri was going to check out the Mabel Lake Campground. It would be a 90+ mile day for me, but I was feeling good and didn’t think it would be an issue.


I followed the Heartland Trail north for five or so miles before turning east on the Paul Bunyan Trail. This was the same paved blacktop as on the Heartland Trail, but without the downed trees. It was circuitous, though, and quite hilly. Google Maps didn’t plot my course using this and I wondered why. When I turned onto the trail, Google told me this route was 58 minutes longer than the alternative on the road. I almost turned back, but I wanted to ride and I had the energy for the additional time.


At one intersection, I stopped to make sure I was on the correct route and chatted with a group of riders on E-bikes. They even had their dog with them. The dog rides in a trailer and apparently loves it. They were really nice locals and made sure I was headed the right direction. I rode just a couple more miles on the bike path, but turning onto a road and then another mile later, I was back on the highway. 


Here the pavement was smooth, the shoulder generous, and there was no debris. I had a touch of a tailwind and I was smelling the end of my ride, though I still had 23 miles to go. I cranked this section at a pretty hard effort. I stood and pounded up all the rises and kept my speed over 20 mph all the time and frequently over 25 mph. I had my tunes cranked up and had a great time turning over my big ring. 


I pulled into the campground at 5:30 p.m. Sheri immediately told me that the bugs were out in force. I walked down to the water pump with a towel and did a quick rinse-off before changing into warm, dry clothes and slathering myself in bug juice, which worked amazingly well. You go, science! 


I had soup and a couple of hotdogs for dinner with a hot chocolate and some Little Debbies for dessert. Gourmet eating to be sure.



Sunday, June 26, 2022, Day 26:


I was back into my armies and leggings and hat and jacket this morning. It was overcast and rainy almost all day, with brief short patches of sunshine. I started from the campground just past 8 a.m. and cranked off 35 miles to Grand Rapids with a nice tailwind. I got there at 10 a.m. just as it started to rain hard. We holed up in the world's slowest Burger King (they are looking to hire) for nearly 90 minutes. I had a second breakfast here and let my clothes dry out a bit.


Here I got on the Mesabi Trail, which is another awesome, smooth paved bike path and a long one, too. I hope to be riding it tomorrow as well. I enjoyed great riding through forests and by lots of lakes. I met Sheri at a park in Calumet. I got there just after it has poured at the park and just before it poured again. Yet, I just had to ride through a light drizzle. Lucky me. After a snack, I got back on the bike and we headed for a motel in Hibbing — the birthplace of Bob Dylan and Roger Maris. I arrived as it started to rain again. Since the next camping was thirty miles away, we didn’t feel too bad about staying in a hotel.


Today is also our anniversary. Sheri's been giving me the gift of her love and companionship for 29 years now. I think I have another 29 in me. We'll see.


I’ve now ridden 1977 miles, averaging 74.4 miles per day. I’m about halfway, mileage-wise, depending upon how we finish the trip. Our route is in flux and will remain that way. We decide where we’re going to go each day.

3 comments:

Coffi said...

Keep going strong and having fun my friend! P.S. Tell the Mrs hello.

Stephen Shostek, Portland Therapist said...

"Today is also our anniversary. Sheri's been giving me the gift of her love and companionship for 29 years now. I think I have another 29 in me. We'll see."

I love how you related the above lines about love and relationship. Cheering for you both for the next 29!

Jeff Valliere said...

Slowest Burger King? Slower than Louisville's (19 minutes for 2 burgers and 2 fries)?

Oh yeah, congrats on 29 years!